Monday, July 06, 2009

KeePass

I've been using KeePass for years now to manage my passwords. It makes it very easy to generate random passwords for use on any website, has a keyboard shortcut (default: Ctrl-Alt-A) to automatically fill in userid/password fields (and its default method works great for 95% of websites), and is very configurable. Because I use multiple machines (work, home desktop, home laptop) I have trouble keeping them in sync, but I typically decide which machine is primary and always keep it completely up-to-date. When you create a password database, you choose a password for the file, then use KeePass to generate all the passwords from then on. You only have to remember one password, so be smart - make it both easy to remember and complex at the same time! For instance, mine is... well, that would be telling. :)

They recently released the 2.0 version (finally); I'll probably post again once I've spent some time with it. I'm still using the 1.0 version - gasp!

2 comments:

David Milam said...

I use a script to keep mine in sync.
If you have access to rsync, use that to securely keep the db file in sync with some web space with ssh access.
Or you can use ftp if ssh isn't available.
If you use Mac and MobileMe, you can just save the file on your iDisk and it automatically stays in sync between machines. :)

GalapagosFinch said...

David, great idea with rsync. I go the lower tech way, using one of my many email addresses to store the current password kdb file, and also send any new passwords (no userids or websites denoted) from the secondary computers to the primary.

I tried doing the ftp thing for a while, but the only web space I had didn't have nearly enough security on top of it (at the time) and I felt overexposed. Perhaps there are good free areas now that are "secure enough"?